Copper Fit removes Brett Favre from website amid welfare scandal

0

Following the release SMS from Brett Favre which appear to show he received welfare funding from former Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant to build a new volleyball facility at the University of Southern Mississippi, some of the brands the former NFL quarterback worked dropped him.

Companies such as Sirius XM and ESPN Milwaukee have distanced themselves from Favre. However, one brand continued to run advertisements using Favre: Copper Fit.

But as of Wednesday, Copper Fit removed the photos and references to Favre from its website, by Front Office Sports. The quarterback was previously listed on an individual page on the website. But it was removed.

However, Copper Fit has yet to remove Favre’s name or likeness from its Instagram and YouTube accounts. The company has not commented on its relationship with the Pro Football Hall of Famer since Favre was removed from its website.

A month ago, Copper Fit supported Favre despite the welfare scandal.

“Copper Fit has worked with Brett Favre for almost 9 years,” Copper Fit’s statement read at the time. “He has always acted honorably and we know he is a very honest man. To our knowledge, he was cleared of any wrongdoing two years ago. We are confident that will be the case in the civil suit.

Favre is currently one of dozens of people being sued by the state of Mississippi for embezzlement of social funds. Text messages obtained by Anna Wolfe mississippi today Favre, Bryant, nonprofit founder Nancy New and former welfare agency director John Davis worked together to funnel at least $5 million of state welfare funds to the construction of a volleyball stadium at USM, Favre’s alma mater. Favre’s daughter also played volleyball at school.

In the texts, Favre would have asked New if the money he received for the volleyball stadium can be traced back to its source by the media. New said no, saying she understood why Favre would be “uncomfortable about it.”

New has already pleaded guilty to 13 counts related to the fraud case in which at least $77 million intended for needy beneficiaries was misspent, according to Wolfe.

New is assisting the prosecution with her plea deal and says she worked to help Favre on Bryant’s instructions. The posts also show that Favre allegedly received a separate $1.1 million wellness deal to promote the program, with Favre offering to “tape some radio spots.” However, he did not record the radio appearances.

Davis recently pleaded guilty on two federal counts, including one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and theft relating to programs receiving federal loans and one count of theft relating to programs receiving federal funds, according to a press release from the US Department of Justice.

Favre has not been charged with any criminal offense and has reportedly repaid the $1.1 million. He said he did not know that the money he received came from social funds.

More NFL coverage:

Share.

Comments are closed.