NC Bar Owners Association pushes for liquor reform
The new NC Bar Owners Association announced this week that it is working with lawmakers to introduce liquor law reforms in North Carolina during a short session for the North Carolina General Assembly that began Wednesday. . These reforms include “removing onerous membership requirements that are rooted in racist beginnings designed to legally discriminate against people of color,” according to a statement released by the group.
The law they refer to designates any bar that doesn’t serve food – or doesn’t make enough of its gross revenue from the sale of food – as a “private club” and requires patrons to become members before they can join. serve alcohol. This means patrons of Charlotte bars like NoDa 101, Hattie’s Tap & Tavern or 1501 South Mint must have their ID scanned and give their phone numbers before they can be served.
“We fully support the removal of these outdated requirements and allowing individuals to consume alcohol in our establishments without having to violate their right to privacy to do so,” Tuesday’s statement said.
That’s not the only liquor law the NC Bar Owners Association is seeking to change. They are also working to restore happy hour drink deals for bar patrons statewide. Current laws state that bars are only allowed to offer all-day drink specials, as opposed to specials for a designated period of time.
The NC Bar Owners Association wants to change that and allow bars and restaurants to lower the prices of individual drinks, sell multiple drinks for one price, offer combo prices for food and drinks, and advertise those specials. outside their premises.
“Our state’s economy is heavily influenced by tourism, and it’s another way to generate additional revenue for local businesses by adapting the same policies as surrounding states,” the statement said.
Detention officer arrested for assaulting two minors
The Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Office announced Friday that one of its own detention officers was arrested Wednesday for an assault that allegedly took place at his home while off duty. Although initially released due to lack of probable cause by the magistrate, he was re-arrested on Friday and fired from the department.
Detention officer Jaquan Kitt, who has been at the MCSO for six years, has been charged with assault on a woman, communicating threats and assault with a misdemeanor with a deadly weapon, as first reported by Brett Jensen with WBT two hours before MCSO released statement on Fridaybut the magistrate found no probable cause on all charges and Kitt was released.
According to Jensen, Kitt was charged with whipping a 17-year-old male relative and assaulting a 16-year-old female relative. Jensen also reported that there were “clear markings and photos” that supported the charges.
Following Jensen’s reporting, the MCSO issued a press release emphasizing that Kitt had been released due to lack of probable cause, including a statement from Sheriff Garry McFadden in which he said he was “surprised” by both the allegations and by decision of the magistrate.
Later Friday evening, the MCSO issued another statement announcing that Kitt had received warrants for the same charges listed above after the CMPD provided new evidence against him to the magistrate.
The City publishes the first draft of its strategic mobility plan
The City of Charlotte Liberated the first draft of the Strategic Mobility Plan Friday.
According to a city statement, the Strategic Mobility Plan (SMP) “intends to shape a new mobility future for the city by leveraging transportation to implement the comprehensive Charlotte Future 2040 plan.”
The SMP will integrate existing transportation plans and policies into a single plan, establishing new mobility goals, modernizing current transportation policies, and helping to align the 2040 Political Map and the Unified Development Ordinance.
“The Strategic Mobility Plan is a critical step in implementing Charlotte’s Plan 2040 vision to provide everyone in our city with safe and equitable mobility choices,” said Liz Babson, director of the Transportation Department of Charlotte, in Friday’s release.
The city will host virtual engagement sessions on May 26 at 6 p.m. and May 31 at noon to compile community feedback on the project. Residents can also leave comments directly in the draft City Mobility Strategy Plan Public entry page or email your comments to [email protected]
A public hearing for the strategic mobility plan is scheduled for Charlotte City Council’s business meeting on June 13, followed by city council’s consideration for adoption on June 27.
Pedestrian and motorcyclist killed in road accidents this week
Two people were killed in two separate incidents on Charlotte roads this week, including the hit-and-run death of a pedestrian in northeast Charlotte and a motorcyclist who collided with a tractor-trailer in northwest Charlotte.
Shortly after midnight Sunday, a citizen driving on Eastway Drive near Eastway Park noticed a pedestrian who had been hit by a vehicle lying on the road. CFD and Medic arrived and pronounced the pedestrian dead at the scene. CMPD’s initial investigation revealed that a BMW SUV of an unknown color struck the pedestrian on the road and drove off. Police are still looking for the vehicle and the driver.
At approximately 8:38 p.m. Monday, police responded to a call about a tractor-trailer that struck a motorcycle at the intersection of Rozzelles Ferry and Lawton roads in northwest Charlotte. Upon arrival, officers found a 2009 Freightliner tractor with an attached trailer and a 2018 Triumph motorcycle at the Lawton Road intersection. Officers also located the driver of the motorcycle, Andy Kim, 37, and his passenger, as well as the driver of the Freightliner.
MEDIC pronounced Kim dead at the scene before transporting the passenger to Atrium Health Main with life-threatening injuries. The Freightliner driver suffered no injuries in this accident.
Preliminary investigation results showed that the driver of the tractor-trailer pulled up in front of Kim in an attempt to turn onto Lawton Road as Kim drove the motorcycle northwest onto Rozzelles Ferry Road. The driver of the Freightliner was charged with misdemeanor death by motor vehicle and failure to yield the right of way. The motorcycle passenger remained in critical condition on Tuesday, although his condition is unclear at this time.
Total homicides reach 35
Three homicides were reported in Charlotte this week, including one stemming from the May 4 death of a man, bringing the total number of murders in the city to 35 this year.
On May 4, police responded to Atrium Health Main in reference to an assault victim there. The victim of the assault, Edgardo Mejia, 41, was pronounced dead later that day. Homicide detectives were called in to investigate but did not officially rule Edgardo’s death a homicide until May 19.
Just before 3 p.m. Wednesday, someone flagged down a North Tryon Division patrolman and directed it to an unresponsive man lying in the roadway off Sugar Creek Road. Officers immediately launched efforts to save the life of the man, later identified as 44-year-old Antonio Quarles, while waiting for Medic, who transported him to Atrium Main with life-threatening injuries. Quarles was pronounced dead shortly before 4 p.m. After further investigation, police determined he had been assaulted with a deadly weapon, although no further details are known.
At approximately 12:47 p.m. Thursday, police responded to a shooting call on Blackhawk Road at the Townes at University townhouses in the Hidden Valley neighborhood north of Charlotte, where they found Feliciano Aguilar-Sanchez, 26. , wounded by bullet. Medic transported the victim to hospital, where he died a short time later.
Become a nervous member: Get better connected and become a Queen City Nerve member to support local journalism for as little as $5 a month. Our community journalism helps keep you informed through a range of diverse voices.