A treasure trove of photographs reveals how much Brisbane has changed over the past century.
The images, part of a new collection released by Queensland University of Technology (QUT), were donated to the university by a local family.
Lyndal O’Gorman, daughter of one of the photographers, Cynthia O’Gorman, provided photographs of her mother and grandfather.
The family’s albums and slide boxes contained over 100,000 images.
They include iconic Brisbane locations including the river, New Farm Park and Eagle Street Pier.
A much flatter city skyline was captured at a glance from Mount Coot-tha in 1954, before today’s tall towers.
The view towards Eagle Street Pier from the Story Bridge was very different in 1965.
Instead of apartment buildings and office buildings, docks and warehouses lined the river.
But the red-roofed building at the bottom of the frame is still there.
Originally the offices of the Howard Smith Ltd shipping company, it is now a restaurant.
Even in the 1960s, Queen Street was a major shopping center – except you could drive or take a tram along the Strip, until it was turned into a pedestrian mall in the 1980s.
The King George Square of the 1950s is barely recognizable.
Among the many changes, the statue depicting his namesake on horseback has been moved.
Anzac Square has not changed much. The sandstone war memorial still stands in front of Central Station, but is now overshadowed by skyscrapers.
Although the Porte Cochere of Parliament looks dated, it was not completed until 1982.
The sandstone is a lighter shade of the main structure and the metal roofs have developed a patina.
Some places look pretty much like they did 50 years ago.
Jacarandas and roses continue to color New Farm Park.
The photos were taken by amateur photographer Jack Bain and his daughter Cynthia O’Gorman.
So far, more than 500 have been digitized and made available to the public on the QUT website.
Lyndal said her grandfather worked as a bank teller in Brisbane for most of his life.
“He didn’t like it, he didn’t like it, but it was reliable work. I think photography was an escape for him,” she said.
Nowadays it would take a brave person to swim in the ‘Brown Snake’. But in a snap from 1928, Mr Bain looks unfazed as he pushes a rowboat down the Brisbane River.
But he was well clear of the water in 1965, when he captured the blasting of a channel at Seventeen Mile Rocks.
The explosions were expected to facilitate the passage of steamers between Brisbane and Ipswich.
A crowd watched as a column of spray slammed into the sky.
Mr Bain captured momentous occasions, such as the decorated Brisbane CBD for Queen Elizabeth’s first visit to Brisbane in 1954.
The monarch celebrated 70 years on the throne this week.
While Mr Bain and Mrs O’Gorman have passed away, their photographs will live on in the QUT’s digital collections, a legacy of Queensland history for generations to enjoy.
Job , updated